First, here are the films coming out this weekend and how I feel about them in order by what I think you should see.
1) Anna Karenina- I keep talking about this film because I’m trying to brainwash you into seeing it. Joe Wright (Pride & Prejudice) directed it and Tom Stoppard (Shakespeare in Love) wrote it. It stars Keira Knightley, Jude Law and Aaron Taylor-Johnson. It’s going to be a beautiful film…okay, I don’t know that for certain but I’m really hoping it is.
2) Silver Lining Playbook – This is only coming out in a few theaters this weekend, it won’t open nation wide until next weekend. So ignore this until next week if you don’t live in LA or anywhere else that gets movies earlier than the rest of the country. This film is written and directed by David O. Russell who made “The Fighter”. It stars Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro and the woman you should all be seeing this for, Jennifer Lawrence. Lawrence is a phenomenal actress and I have complete faith in her. Also, I’ve heard the film is really good.
3) Price Check – The biggest selling point for this film is Parker Posey. It’s about a man, played by Eric Mabius, who gets involved with Posey, his boss, even though he’s married. It’s a comedy, but it might be terrible. But maybe it will be funny. Anything is possible.
4) Citadel – I just watched the trailer for this and honestly hadn’t heard of it before this second. The trailer is kind of bad but I feel like the film itself might not be. It’s hard to tell. The production value doesn’t seem that great, but I have a good feeling about the lead actor based solely on the trailer. It seems creepy though and if you’re looking for a new horror film this might be the one for you.
5) The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part II – I admit that I’ve seen all the Twilight movies but it’s honestly not worth your money. There are so many films coming out that you could see that will be better than this. However, I get it. They’re funny and Robert Pattinson is attractive. If you’re having fun, fine, go ahead. But making a film like Twilight is selling your creative soul for a big paycheck. I believe Catherine Hardwicke was genuinely trying to make a legitimate movie with “Twilight”, but it didn’t work. They are corny and over the top and it’s funny but we’ll forget them.
Now, because of the title I feel like I should tell you why Anna Karenina is better than Bella Swan.
Keira Knightley is a much more talented lead actress than Kristin Stewart. Stewart plays a better supporting character. I always liked her in supporting roles but she does not have the personality to carry a film. Knightley does. Hell, she was Elizabeth SWANn and the first Pirates Movie was ten times better than “Snow White and the Huntsman”.
Both Anna and Bella are going against social norms with their choice of love, but Anna is bold and fighting a much stronger pressure from society. She is judged and ridiculed for wanting to choose who she loves. Bella is just a teenage girl who is dependent on her boyfriend (now husband) and was easily willing to give up her life to be with him. I mean, it’s obvious that Anna Karenina is better. Do I really have to prove it to you?
Anyway, those are the movies coming out this weekend (and one that’s also coming out next weekend…). Have a good movie weekend!